I’m A Snap Happy Mummy

I saw a comment on a discussion forum recently about parents posting “too many” pictures of their children on Facebook, and it got me thinking. Is there such a thing as “too many” photographs of a child?

Hello, my name is Laura and I’m a Snap Happy Mummy. I post A LOT of pictures of my darling offspring on Facebook. Several a day sometimes. Do I particularly care what anyone thinks about this? Not really… if I’m honest.

When I was going through infertility, it wasn’t people sharing about their children that annoyed me. It was endless scan pictures, endless moaning about pregnancy and endless moaning about the child once they were here. There’s nothing worse than it being a bad day, when a period shows up at the end of what you thought was a promising cycle and you’re mindlessly scrolling through Facebook and have to wade through scan pictures and people talking about how horrible their pregnancy is. Because of that, I haven’t publicly posted my scan pictures to Facebook (they were always shared within comments and albums) and I generally don’t talk about the difficulties of pregnancy or having a child on there. I’m mindful of my friends who are still stuck in the infertility trenches or have moved on without having children.

However, when it comes to sharing pictures of Eden, that’s a different matter. Forgive me for being maybe a little big headed here, but why would I not share pictures of her? She’s gorgeous. Of course I think that – she is my daughter. But genuinely, her little smile puts a smile on my face and I love sharing that and hopefully making others smile. I love sharing the little moments that get us through the day. The sleepy smiles, the face covered in food, the sitting up and the lovely outfits. I love sharing her. And family and friends love seeing her. On Twitter and Instagram I use the tag #babyspam so that if people wish to mute, it is easy enough to do so.

I think we all agree that certain things are a total over share. I wouldn’t dream of sharing any picture that involved her genitals or similar, neither would I share any pictures of ominous rashes or nappies. I don’t think that’s necessary – but that’s me. I know some people are perfectly ok with sharing fully naked and exposed pictures of their kids, but that’s not OK for me, so I don’t do it.

Is this rude to those still going through infertility? Am I a hypocrite? I asked a few friends about this and quite a few of them take the same stance as me. When I was going through infertility, my Facebook mute list was LONG. I mean, at one point it had coming up for thirty people on it. But is that their problem? Should they not share their happiness because I hadn’t found mine? Are they sharing photographs “at” me? No. That’s my thoughts. The mute button was and still is my friend. Personally, I think that’s the best way to be. I wouldn’t be offended one tiny bit if I found out I was on someone’s mute list for sharing pictures of my daughter. It’s all about self care. If you need to step away, please PLEASE do. Don’t feel you have to stay following me just because we are friends. Everyone has bad patches and you need to look after you during yours.

I think also that sometimes think that those of us who share a lot of pictures do it because we think our child is better than theirs. That’s not the case. It’s not a comparative thing. I think she’s fabulous, I really do. But that’s not in comparison to any other child, that’s just my opinion on my daughter. I’m not sharing “at” you. I’m sharing pictures of my daughter because I think she’s great.

Eden is one of my favourite things in my life. We waited a long time for her. Our choice is to share her often with friends on social media. Others make a different choice and that’s up to them and is just as valid. But please, let me be a snap happy mummy if I want to. Because chances are, we will only get to do this once.

I’ve posted some of my favourites from this week below.

Life with Baby Kicks
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
Advertisements
This entry was posted in 2016, Infertility, Instagram, parenting after infertility, pregnancy after infertility and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to I’m A Snap Happy Mummy

1. laughing mum says:

What a really good insight into fertility problems… I would have never thought of it that way, but it’s a really good point! There is NO such thing as too many pictures of your kids, we are all guilty… Your daughter is adorable, so share away! x

2. kbperry says:

I have wondered about this myself but have decided that people can unfollow me or unfriend me if they do not want to see pictures of our daughter. With so many family members and friends not able to see her, it’s great to be able to share pics so that they can watch her grow as well. Love seeing Eden’s pics and watching her change so much! I absolutely adore seeing her happy face in my newsfeed every day!!!!

3. I absolutely LOVE seeing Eden’s pics, and not just her pics, but of both you and Amy as well, cuddling her, and laughing with her. This parenting thing is real, so it’s great to see all of it! Thanks for sharing her with us!

4. gsmwc02 says:

Your daughter is beautiful

5. We all have struggles in this life. Some with infertility. Some with depression. Some with immune problem. Some with difficult pregnancies. Some with children with debilitating disease. Some live in war zones, or experience food insecurity. We all have struggles. My experiences have led me to this: Muting the joy that we feel when things go well, when we’re not in pain, when we’re struggling just a little bit less, (particularly in public spaces) in order to cushion someone else’s struggle is not helpful. We share our struggles, we share our joys. It is up to the individual to take the space they need away from those public spaces when they need it.

6. I live in a different country from most of my friends and family so I love when they post photos on Facebook, it means I get a glimpse of their life even though I am not there 🙂 #effitfriday

7. Share, share, share. The photos are great and give me hope. I agree when something is too much social media has tools I can use

8. veronica lee says:

Keep sharing – Eden is ADORABLE! People have a choice to unfollow/unfriend if they do not care to see the pictures. To each his own!

#KCACOLS

9. I think it’s lovely that you share happy things on Facebook, I really feel that is what it should be about but that you can also see it from other people’s opinions too. Your daughter is adorable! #KCACOLS

10. Gorgeous pics! I’m one very proud snap happy Mammy too- and no matter how much people twist about it- I refuse to apologise for it. If people don’t want to see pics of my kids then they can remove themselves from my Facebook- I totally understand that everyone is different. xx #KCACOLS

11. who cares what anyone else thinks?! Those people that care about your family and journey will want to see them! #KCACOLS

12. I think your attitude is the best way to be – your children are a huge part of your life and what makes you happy, why would you not want to share that on what is, after all, a site to share your life? I don’t believe in censoring yourself and what makes you happy, to try and avoid offending someone else – if you lived life like that there’d be no joy! As you said, there is always the mute button for anyone who doesn’t want to see it, or who finds it difficult for any reason. #KCACOLS

13. I completely agree with you – after all Facebook/social media is about sharing what you love. No-one would expect you not to post endless holiday snaps! Fab post and Eden is so adorable xx #KCACOLS

14. I’m Laura. I’m a snap happy mum too. And I know I’m on so many block lists but that’s ok.

I try to be mindful of other people’s feeling and in return I expect them to be mindful of mine, telling me I over share that they don’t need to see pictures of my boys isn’t on. It’s hurtful. I don’t complain if you share a picture of the avocado you eat or the weight you’ve lost.

And Eden is gorgeous xx

15. madelinelittlejohns says:

I really like your perspective on this, having been on both sides. I don’t think you should feel bad for sharing photos of your baby, and lots of people do want to see them! I think you make a great point that people are free to hide you from their newsfeed if they don’t want to see them. x #KCACOLS

16. Suburban Mum says:

Awww some very cute pictures of Eden!

I don’t share much on Facebook these days but when I had my eldest I think I definitely did. It probably did annoy ppl but like you say they can choose to mute or unfollow. For me it was a way of sharing photos of my children easily to family overseas.

Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again on Sunday x

Let's hear your comments!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s